Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Picture I Didn't Take & Other Miscellany


My brother- in-law, Mike took the picture of Enchanted Rock posted above the last time he was here and I always enjoy it when it comes up on my screensaver. Enchanted Rock is this huge dome of mostly bare rock(seen in the foreground) surrounded by various outcropping, boulders and the odd live oak poking through. Absolutely breathtaking, especially this time of year.

I did get a persuasive fiction recommendation from my friend John for the book Too Late the Phalarope by Alan Paton. I inhaled it, it impaled me (heartbreaking), and now I recommend it to you. Great study of the inner world.

Granny Betty e-mailed in response to the AM Radio post to tell me about some of her childhood memories involving the radio including her father anxiously awaiting the farm report and hoping the batteries would stay charged long enough to hear it. I accidently deleted the e-mail so I can't include a direct quote here. She also reminded me not to knock technology because it is what helps her keep in touch with her kids and grandchildren. Good point and it made me realize how often times those (i.e., me) who long for "the good old days" are those who never had to live through them in the first place.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a really windy day. Can't wait!

3 comments:

tyler said...

any good climbing around this Enchanted rock?

Mike said...

It's great to see that picture again. I wish we could come back and visit. That rock was an amazing place. I have a lot of pictures from their in my mental roledex. Calvin racing ahead of us, Jen's anxious face as he went, Kelley(my wife) beaming from the inside out, the rocks nearly turning red in the late sun, wind blown hair, short stubby cacti, and misplaced patches of grass surrounded by endless rock. A great place.

Ditchdigger said...

I think they might climb somewhere around or on the rock, I'll look into it. There are some nice caves in there.