Sunday, December 03, 2006

And Now For Something Completely Different

A quick holiday decorating tip before I get to the main topic: It is not acceptable to mix colored and white lights in front yard displays. Pick one or the other and stick with it. Also taboo is the mixing of blinking lights set at different speeds. Thank you.

I Feel it Coming On

Recently, while dining out I got the distinct impression that I was enjoying a luxury that at some point in the near future would no longer be available for me to enjoy. Ditto on recent trips to Starbucks, the movies, and the iTunes music store. There is a storm brewing on the horizon, the thunder of which we can all hear, whose lightning flashes we can all see increasing in frequency and proximity. What is clear is that the storm is headed our way, what is not clear is the exact intensity of the storm or for how long it will last. The storm of which I am speaking of is the rapidly increasing cooperation and unity amongst several diverse nations whose common bond is a desire to see us either subdued or destroyed. I feel as though we are on the verge (next 4-6 yrs.) of a major change in the way that life is lived here in America. And now some minor observations minus the requisite factual support, on account of the busy holiday season.

Who

China. As their economy grows, their need for oil grows, reason enough to cozy up to certain Middle Eastern entities. As their population grows, their need for other limited natural resources grows as well. With the world's largest standing army, and roughly 120 men per every 100 women, they have the might and incentive to flex some serious muscle. I can't see them attacking us outright but rather picture them pulling strings to weaken our economy. I can see them doing this independently and/or helping or waiting for another nation or entity to attack us and then exploiting. They could bring us to our knees without even firing a shot.

N. Korea. Crazed dictator with nukes. Nuff said. With a wink and a nod China could start the scenario mentioned above. Okay, maybe not quite that easily, but you get the picture, any one of these countries by themselves does not scare me but as a team they do.

Russia. Run by Putin whom I do not trust, a major economic partner with Iran, has given (is giving?) them military hardware and know how. Probably wouldn't mind being a big dog on the block again.

Venezuala. Spending a conspicuous amount of money on modernizing and increasing the size of their army. Venezuelan President Chavez and Iranian president Ahmadinejad are buddy-buddy as are Chavez and Fidel Castro who coincidently runs a small country 90 miles off the coast of Florida.

Iran. Calling their shot right now.

Extremist Islam, both here and abroad, like the crocodile in the mud hole creeping closer and closer to the feeding herd, waiting...waiting...

What

Increased cooperation and possible collusion to precipitate our demise. Or even just several of them waiting to opportunistically exploit events set in motion by another.

Worst case: nuclear detonation followed by extreme economic hard times. Best case: extreme economic hard times

Why

A lean, hungry dog will easily take the bone away from a much larger dog who is satiated by a life of ease and plenty. And if said hungry dog loves death more than life, the results could certainly be brutal.

Hope

I remember late August nights on the Jersey Shore in my teen years and the dread I felt knowing that winter was right around the corner and that the sun and salt water would soon be replaced with snow and salt trucks. I kind of feel that way now, only a lot happier. My heart is full of love and that gives the strength and reason to defend. I feel safe, not physically or circumstancially, but still safe nonetheless, "sheltered in the shadow of His wings" and that gives me joy. And after working around some of the greatest men in America for three years at the factory in Kansas City and here in Texas in the rock quarries, I know that these men and countless others just like them will rise to any challenge and meet it head on, with vim and courage.

Plans

I'm tossing around the idea of learning how to hunt. I don't need or even want venison right now but I might need it in the future. Maybe, still thinking about it, I'm not a nut, I just don't want to bury my head in the sand.
Beyond that no real plans, I figure letting God do His thing on us will prepare the family emotionally for potential stresses that may lay ahead. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfullness, gentleness, and self control. I think generous stores of those in our inner man will help us to rise up and act with honor, purpose, and clarity if and when we are called upon.

5 comments:

tyler said...

I think about this topic nearly everyday and often many times a day. A Congressman recently talked of sumbiting a bill to reinstate selective service. The bill would reduce the amount of possible deferment due to education. The draft begins with 20 year olds.

What I worry more about then a forced economic meltdown brought on by cooperating countries is another terrorist attack that is as bad or worse than 9/11.

I am 20 years old right now and will be for another 6 months. Vim and courage? Ya, I guess I would say I have some. I don't see myself volunteering, but if I'm drafted I would not dodge it.

I'm kinda scared too. I pray about it a lot.

brad said...

Wow, this post is full of holiday cheer.
I agree with you in some ways, but not all. Mainly I would like to push the timetable of the collapse of America as 'the world power' out to 20-50 years.
Also, I don't think our eventual sinking will be from deliberate malevolent forces moving against us. While I think we may have to deal with more attacks like 9/11, I think our eventual downfall will be from a general lack of caring that we succeed. We just want to eat and watch tv, and by the time we realize we that not enough of us are working hard enough to keep our country in good shape, it will be too late.

John said...

I echo Brad! Thanks for the holiday cheer. I'm glad you were too busy for supporting details! Also, the frog in the pot of water analogy comes to mind. Rome was destroyed because it destroyed itself and then was a shell against any real foe. We will destroy ourselves (have already gone a long way in the process) with the complete meltdown of the nuclear family unit which is the core of any society. I'm glad God is in control and all of this has already been predicted. As for a theological issue to chew on, theologians see no signs of America in any end-time prophecy. There is not allusion, representation, etc. We, as any credible presence, are relatively irrelavent by the time the "end times" events occur. Much Christmas cheer!

blanco said...

china and russia as we know them will both collapse under their own weight sooner than the u.s. will see its final decline. with 120/100 rate of men to women in china and an astronomical abortion rate it is only a matter of time for them. plus, they are christianizing at an amazing clip, despite the government's best/worst efforts.

russia has something like 9 women per man in its far eastern reaches. it has been below healthy reproductive rates of 2.1 children per family for some years and is about headed, as is much of western europe, into a demographic death spiral that will be nearly impossible to break out of, ever. in 20 years both of those nations will have very different problems of their own than they do now...and likely very different leadership.

couple this with the fact that the u.s. dwarfs both of those nations in technology, technological development prowess, money, huge financial institutional resources, major civil institutional advantages (a generally non-corrupt government) a major, major traditional military advantage (forget the millions of chinese soldiers...how will they get them here? and we're not going over there...) and so forth, and you have quite a hill for anyone else to climb.

the important things relative to those countries are a healthy birth rate, money and a (powerhouse!) economy to support it into the future, and a culture that values entrepeneurial drive and success that is admired the world over. no one wants to destroy the engine that powers the world's money making opportunities.

...my opinion.

John said...

Sorry for a delayed postscript. I got this quote from Tozer and thought it applied.
"Surely Bible-reading Christians should be the last persons on earth to give way to hysteria. They are redeemed from their past offenses, kept in their present circumstances by the power of an all-powerful God, and their future is safe in His hands. God has promised to support them in the flood, protect them in the fire, feed them in famine, shield them against their enemies, hide them in His safe chambers until the indignation is past and receive them at last into eternal tabernacles.

If we are called upon to suffer, we may be perfectly sure that we shall be rewarded for every pain and blessed for every tear. Underneath will be the Everlasting Arms and within will be the deep assurance that all is well with our souls. Nothing can separate us from the love of God-not death, nor life, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature.

This is a big old world, and it is full of the habitations of darkness, but nowhere in its vast expanse is there one thing of which a real Christian need be afraid. Surely a fear-ridden Christian has never examined his or her defenses."
This World: Playground or Battleground? pp. 7-8