Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas in Baghdad

(I received this e-mail from my buddy Scott the other day and am reprinting it with his permission. I met Scott and his wife Gina at our church in San Antonio while Scott was attending physical therapy school. A former tank commander, Scott always felt uneasy about attending school far from the action while his fomer tankmates were in harm's way. Despite having two young girls, one born just this summer, Scott was eager to do his part. Scott's selflessness and optimism are wonderful to be around. This Christmas let's remember Scott, his wife Gina and their two little girls in our prayers as well as the hundreds of thousands of families just like theirs.)

Merry Christmas!

It's hard to believe that I've been away from home for more than four months already. I have experienced a great number of things that I could probably never see at home. Some of these experiences, I could do without. Others have been amazing. Through the whole time, my wife has been fantastic. I cannot imagine a finer woman with whom to share this time. She has constantly kept me aware of the things that are happening with our girls. She sends daily reminders of my family by email and with her numerous care packages. And I get to live vicariously through the adventures of Flat Daddy. For those who don't know of Flat Daddy, check out the website that Gina has been keeping: http://web.mac.com/carow2n/iWeb/Site


I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of American people this Christmas. This month I have received packages and Christmas cards from strangers almost on a daily basis. Of course, I have received much from friends and family as well, but it is great to know that there are people at home who appreciate what we're doing here.

So, what are we doing? I have found myself traveling a lot more than I ever thought I would. I am the physical therapist serving a brigade, which consists of about 3500 of the finest Soldiers in the Army. They are spread across a fairly large area Southwest of Baghdad. I travel on a weekly basis to see our guys who are located at different Forward Operating Bases. I have really enjoyed getting out and seeing different people and places here. The main thing I notice when we drive around our area is that there are children playing outside everywhere. For the most part, they have nothing to play with, but they are always playing. Inevitably, this reminds me of my own children who are playing without me these days. Lexi says we are here because there are little girls in Iraq who aren't allowed to be happy. Unfortunately, there is a little more to it than that, but seeing these children has made me realize that these kids deserve a chance to experience freedom and to pursue their dreams just like my kids do.

We had church this morning and it was great. It was a nice break from our routine which has been pretty busy lately. It was also a good time to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas. As I find myself far from home this Christmas, I still have much to be thankful for. I am thankful for an opportunity to serve our country, especially in this time of conflict. I am thankful for my beautiful wife and daughters. Mostly, I am thankful for a baby in a manger, and I am thankful that the same God who I trust in Iraq is watching my family at home.


There are brave Soldiers putting their lives at risk every day over here. In return, we only ask for your prayers for our safety. Have a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

sdc

1 comment:

tyler said...

May the Lord Almighty bless and protect you sdc!