Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Joe Biden at Cooney's Tavern


Being as that I'm new to Iowa and all, I figured it would be a lot of fun to get out there and go see a couple of candidates strutting their stuff. So when my friend Eddie mentioned that Joe Biden was going to be speaking at an Irish bar near our house I jumped at the chance on both counts. I went in with a pretty negative impression of Biden based solely on the (D) that comes in front of his name and a general perception that he was just another blowhard in a nice suit. But I walked away with a lot of respect for the guy, he probably is just another blowhard in a suit but he does have the courage to speak his mind and that's saying a lot these days.

You had me at hello...

It was in the low twenties with a decent wind blowing when we ducked into a packed Cooney's about three minutes before the fire code was officially broken. Seriously, three minutes later and we wouldn't have even made it into the door. It was packed and electric, shortly after we arrived, an older and very happy gentleman near the door led the crowd in a fun version of "Happy Days are Here Again", a song I had never heard before but that was pretty easy to pick up. After about a half hour wait Biden showed up and walked past us, shaking hands and saying hello to people on his way up to the "platform" which was as I later saw, a couple of cases of beer pushed together. The crowd quieted down as he spoke, the bartenders quit serving and leaned back against the bar to listen to his speech, given under the green Christmas lights. In his opening remarks he mentioned having gone to the University of Delaware which got a couple of lighthearted boos from some of the Iowa fans in the audience. He replied to our great delight, "Unlike other candidates I'm not afraid to stand up for what I believe in - we kicked Iowa's a**!" That was such a great moment, so non pandering that you had to respect his candor.

I enjoyed his speech primarily because he really didn't make any promises at all. He wasn't offering bliss, prosperity, and to tuck us into bed every night like most of his Democrat rivals. He basically said, (paraphrasing) "we've got a hard road ahead of us but nobody said life was going to be easy, the American people love a good challenge and I believe they are up to the challenge so let's pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and get after it." That's not exactly what he said but I feel like that was the gist of it. Or maybe that was just what he said when run through my conservative filter. Anyways, I was surprised to hear what I was hearing.

During a brief question and answer time after his speech, someone asked if he would support partial birth abortions. I took from the tone of the question that they were really hoping he would say yes. Well, again to my surprise he gave a pretty lengthy and specific answer saying he was completely opposed to partial birth abortion. I thought that for a Democrat running for the party's nomination that was pretty gutsy. Maybe I'm just easy, but I've always said that I am so sick of the dishonesty in politics and that I just wanted someone to speak the truth about their views and I couldn't shake the feeling that Joe was speaking from his heart what he believed.

Since then I've learned that he was one of the few Democrats who recently supported refunding the troops, a potentially politically damaging vote about which he said, "there are some things worth losing the election over." In the divisive climate in which we live we need to champion the honest no matter what side of the aisle they come from. Our allegience should be to Honesty and Character before Party.


I'm raising a glass now to the two Joes, Biden and Liebs, two islands of honesty in a sea full of empty promises. Thanks for having the character to speak your minds.


And for my part, I'll be honest by saying "Ron Paul in '08!"

9 comments:

Ditchdigger said...

Bob, please don't make me sleep on the back porch at Christmas!

Randy said...

Several months ago, I told a friend that if John McCain got the GOP nomination, I would consider voting for a Dem. nominee, it was the right guy. At that time, I said Richardson, Biden, or Obama might be possibilities. I didn't know much about Obama then, and I used to think Richardson was a stand-up guy, but since then, they've both eliminated themselves in my mind. I don't agree with a lot of Biden's thinking, but, like you, I appreciate his forthrightness.

For years, I have longed for a good Libertarian candidate whom I could get behind. But, I regret that, for me, Ron Paul is not he.

Randy said...

The final clause of the first sentence above should read, "if it was the right guy."

Kelly said...

Sarah and I have been watching all the debates (both 'R' and 'D'), and we've both had a similar impression of Biden as what you described. So many important issues to consider. Tough stuff. My brother would be happy to hear about anyone voting for Ron Paul in the Iowa primaries.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have made it. It is scary to see my friends becoming so political. Does this mean that I have to grow up?

Eddie Mac said...

go Joe!
JOBAMA! 08
Have a safe two weeks, I'll see you when you get back.
Come back with a tan.

Anonymous said...

Yo, J... Very interesting to hear about Joe Biden's comments on partial birth abortion. If that's true, then I agree, it's quite impressive and gutsy for a D to say. However, his website makes it clear he supports Roe v Wade and the 'right to choose to terminate a pregnancy.' However, given the field of D candidates, he does seem to be one of the more respectable. So far, if I had to pick a D, I'd probably be leaning this way.

I respect that Ron Paul is consistent, but I can't vote for him. If he can say about Radical Islam that “they’re only defending themselves, and if we stay away from them, they won’t try to hurt us.” then I don't believe he has a grip on reality of the situation. We DO need clean up the business in Iraq, but his statements raise concern that he feels the US is the CAUSE of Radical Islam. Frankly, that angers me. My one on one conversations with (non-radical) Iraqi muslims have only increased my conviction that Islamic terrorism is an idealogical battle completely unrelated to our military and political positions.

Also, though I appreciate Dr. Paul's pro-life sentiments, it seems they are outweighed by his anti-Federal, pro-State libertarian sentiments. If he truly believes abortion to be wrong, then defending those young lives at the Federal level should be an option, as should be the defense of the lives of disabled individuals like Terry Schiavo. His responses in the Value Voters debate made it clear; for Dr. Paul, the sanctity of life is secondary to State rights vs Federal government.

I'm caucusing for Mike Huckabee. I think executive experience outweighs legislative experience when one is looking to be our chief executive. He is also consistent on issues and a man of character. He is solidly pro-life, supports the fair-tax, understands the ideological issues of radical Islamic terrorism, and shoots for the long term solution.

I just can't do short comments. :) I need to start blogging more myself, I guess.

Ditchdigger said...

Benjamin - Abortion should be a states rights issue. Not only would this be more in line with the constitution, it would also put it squarely in the arena of ideas where it would be debated 50 different times. Beautiful!

You are right about Ron Paul on foreign policy though, since endorsing him here, I've had several eye opening conversations about his head in the sand approach.

I am against the Huckster because he is a big government guy. He will spend more money than Bush. He is a full blown liberal, hidden only by the fact that he is pro-life. We've got to stop spending money before Haitian currency is worth more than ours. Huckabee is also weak on immigration and I question his character based on that whole "here's the negative ad I'm not going to run" stunt.

And finally but most importantly I am against Huckabee because he is basically running as "The Christian" candidate. That is a BS move in my book. If I wanted to vote for a liberal christian I would vote for Obama who I think would make a much better pres than Huckabee.

Sorry for getting so cranky but the Huckster really frosts my chaps.

Hopefully you'll be at lifegroup tomorrow night and me, you and Eddie can argue till our wives drag us home. - Jer

Anonymous said...

I'll be there, and look forward to the talk. :-)

Abortion: part of me can't really disagree that it should be a state issue, but the fact is, it's already become a federal issue by virtue of Roe v. Wade and already huge federal involvement. Right now, states can't make the right decision on it due to federal involvement. Maybe this is a bit of me wanting it "right" at the expense of state rights... oh well, so be it. :-)

Huck a Liberal? He definitely presents more "social concern" than most traditional Republicans, including his focus on arts and education. However, he supports FairTax, wants to privatize health care (yes, he created subsidized children's insurance in Arkansas for those above welfare, but still too poor to afford insurance? is that bad for a state to do?), streamline and cut Homeland Security... FairTax is such an important issue, though I suppose I could see an argument that he would be able to maintain government revenue/spending while greatly stimulating economy and business. On the other hand, government spending will go down if the IRS is gone. :-) Defense, 2nd amendment rights, foreign policy, immigration - border control, energy independence: on all these issues he seems to have a solid stance.

My impression is that the media has attempted to label him "the Christian candidate" in an attempt to discredit him. He was a paster before he was a governor, but he was lieutenant gov and governor for 12 years. That's solid governing experience in a state where many people would spit on him just for being a republican. He's a christian, yes, but I WANT my leaders to have a world view that lines up with mine. I much prefer the moderate-conservative Baptist background of Huckabee to the liberal, secular humanist, muslim, unitarian background of Obama. I prefer anyone with executive, governing experience over the experience of a legislator.

FInally, I believe that "separation of church and state" as espoused by the popular press, is a a complete FARCE! It is nothing but a misrepresentation of a founder's words in order to muzzle and immobilize christians across the country. Politics should be discussed in the church, ESPECIALLY with regard to character and key moral issues. Christians should be heavily INVOLVED in politics! We are the salt of the earth, but too many of us have believed the lie that we can't let our faith effect our involvement in government! No, government and politics won't save the world, but that's not an excuse to ignore them and let them be overrun by those who would ignore God and the church. Anyway, this is part of why I think it's not bad, but good to know that a candidate is a christian.