Thursday, August 07, 2008

My Favorite Stretch

Don't pay the ransom, I escaped! Thank you for coming back after such a long break.


Purity of Light and Color
The drive between Iowa and Texas is divided into three different sections; the giddy anticipation and breathless buildup to driving through the Flint Hills of Kansas, the roughly 30 minute stretch through the Flint Hills, and the drug like euphoria of having just passed through the Flint Hills which lasts until about the Texas-Oklahoma border.

This year I had the chance to drive through the Flint Hills on four separate occasions, the last being in early June and I still can't shake off that gorgeous drive. I've heard that the Flint Hills were an inspiration behind the Rich Mullins song, "The Color Green". The Flint Hills have probably been an inspiration for a lot of things. The thing that strikes me about them is the purity of the place. There are a few trees and fences and cows but mostly its just grass covered hills and a big sky. The greens of the earth and the various shades of blue sky locked in perpetual struggle for dominance on this vast blank slate, like Jacob and the Angel, neither one overcoming; the result - perfect balance, and one that makes me wish I were a cowboy.

Rich Mullins once said that the best accompaniment to the Flint Hills was either Aaron Copeland or silence, I tried just about everything, even some Irish music on one foggy morning and I would have to agree with the silence part. But if you insist, I recommend the piano.


"Be praised for all Your tenderness by these works of Your hands
Suns that rise and rains that fall to bless and bring to life Your land
Look down upon this winter wheat and be glad that You have made
Blue for the sky and the color green that fills these fields with praise."
- Rich Mullins

2 comments:

John said...

Thank YOU for coming back! It's been so long I almost feel we need to do introductions all over again.
Hi, my name is John.
It's my pleasure...really!

Ditchdigger said...

Thanks Dr. Bill. You are incredibly lucky to live in such a beautiful place.