Monday, March 01, 2010

Today

This morning it was very windy, cold and rainy up in North Texas. I work outside most of the time and this morning I forgot my underarmour turtleneck so I was a bit chilly and miserable until I noticed that the grass looked a lot like lichen and the clanging of the conveyor belt running rock up out of the quarry sounded a lot like the slap of the block against the mast on a boat rocking in the waves. This of course could only mean one thing - I was Torgie, a Norwegian miner working in the granite mines on the windswept North Sea coast. And if I was indeed Torgie, a Norwegian miner on the windswept North Sea coast then that could mean one thing, and one thing only - a ferry ride across the fjord at the end of my shift would drop me off a few short blocks from my IKEA furnished flat where I would put on a turtleneck and wool cap before eating a bowl of chowder and a plate of lingonberries! Yesssss!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back after your 6 month hiatus! - Joshua

walter said...

Ahhh, another day in paradise eh?

rachael hall said...

It is indeed man's greatest strength and possibly his greatness weakness to convince himself he is experiencing tremendous pleasure while actually engaged in the regular drudgery of life. Hoist that sail, argh! :)

John said...

Welcome back in deed! Amazing way to cope with what the world throws at you. Have you ever been to Norway?

Ditchdigger said...

A hundred times in my head, John. Bout as snowy as Mississippi this year, huh?